We have developed a programme of sociable, heritage-inspired activities, events and projects.
We look forward to the day we can come together to deliver them.
Take a look at what we have planned.
Do you have a memory of the old Museum?
Do you have a favourite object or display?
We would love to hear from you.
Our Core Programme of heritage activities is designed especially for our Aurora Wellbeing Centre service users and their families – local people affected by cancer and long term health conditions.
It will include regular heritage activities, short courses and workshops, creative sessions and special projects.
Look out for:
- Aurora Heritage Explorers – free visits to local attractions and heritage sites and local guided walks.
- Aurora Heritage Café – Exploring the Past – sociable and supported heritage inspired get-togethers with talks, handling sessions, research challenges and more.
- Family History Workshops – free and supported access and training to local family history resources.
- Arts and Minds – A programme of therapeutic art and craft sessions and workshops delivered by professionals.
- Special Projects – Take Note Sharing Memories and Collecting Conversations – The first Aurora Wellbeing oral history project.
- Special Projects – Take Note Sharing Objects – Create a personal Virtual Museum gallery.
- Object Encounters – Create and enjoy handling boxes to share with the local community.
Our Community Programme will welcome the local community into the Aurora Wellbeing Centre and involve them in a range of heritage activities, events, open days, exhibitions and projects.
Look out for:
- The ‘Our Worksop’ project…a town’s curation of its past – a series of events and activities to get you actively involved in sharing and curating the town’s heritage. Including; creating Worksop’s Virtual Museum, taking part in a ‘Take Note’ oral history project and creating mini temporary exhibitions for the Heritage Hub.
- Capital Works – lockdown guidelines have changed our plans so keep up to date with all capital progress on our social media platforms. Twitter – Instagram – Facebook. Enjoy mini virtual tours, stories about the town’s history and general adoration of the Old Library and Museum building.
- Open Days and Family Events – Enjoy ‘Blast from the Past’ and ‘History Maker’ events and connect to Worksop’s history and heritage. Hosted at the Old Library and Museum building by Aurora Wellbeing.
- Working with learners – Welcoming local schools to visit the Heritage Hub and understand the objects and their stories. Schools to contribute objects to the galleries of the Virtual Museum.
- Access for All – A commitment to welcome everybody to the building and do everything we can to ensure all needs are met. Look out for; touch tours, deaf explorers and autism friendly days.
Our Development Programme of activities and projects will create new volunteer roles and opportunities for skills training, sharing knowledge, developing research and resources and supporting local partners.
Look out for:
- Project volunteer roles – Volunteer Curators, Wellbeing and Heritage Volunteers, Heritage Hub Volunteers and Oral History Volunteers.
- Up-skilling and technical training – photography, handling museum objects, oral history and interpretative writing.
- Other training – disability and dementia awareness, first aid, research techniques, family history support and more.
- Research, blogs, news, case stories and resource guides exploring looking at the impact of heritage as a route to wellbeing.
The engagement activities will provide opportunities for the people of Worksop to celebrate their heritage and increase connections to it.
Heritage has the ability to make us feel good about our sense of self, our place in the world and where we live. This can boost our wellbeing.
Our heritage activities, projects and events have been framed around the 5 Ways to Wellbeing – connect – take notice – keep learning – give – keep active.
It is our ambition that everyone participating will get a wellbeing boost.
Heritage Engagement Officer, Aurora Wellbeing Centre, Worksop